Job Opening: Principal
Franklin, Tennessee | Start Date: July 2023
Saint Matthew School is an accredited, co-educational Catholic school located in beautiful Williamson County, Tennessee. Established in 2001, the school currently serves 500 children in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The school is supported by Saint Matthew Catholic Church, a thriving faith community committed to the education of its young people. Core to the school’s mission is fostering an environment to support their students in “Seeking Knowledge + Modeling Christ + Serving Others in their daily lives.” All faculty and staff at Saint Matthew Church and School encourage students to learn and grow in their faith and find true joy in their service to others.
On September 28, 2017, Saint Matthew was named a 2017 National Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education under the High Performing School designation, the only Williamson County private school to ever receive this award. In October 2022, SMS was named an Apple Distinguished School, one of only 703 schools worldwide to be classified as such.
Saint Matthew is seeking a principal who can integrate its strong Catholic identity and mission with all aspects of student life and academics. Saint Matthew is known for its commitment to academic excellence rooted in Christ. The school follows a rigorous curriculum that is designed to engage all students while addressing each individual student’s diverse needs and capabilities. Additionally, Saint Matthew School boasts an innovative approach to learning, offering a technology-rich environment that fosters creativity, deepens collaboration, and personalizes the learning experience for each student. The school maintains high expectations for each student, and anecdotal evidence from area high schools, and other schools to which Saint Matthew students apply, reflects favorably on the academic preparedness of Saint Matthew students.
- Academic Operations: Oversee the day-to-day operations of the school, including all aspects of teaching and learning, curriculum, and assessment.
- Student Life: Ensure healthy, diverse, and Christ-centered engaging co-curricular programs and activities.
- Spiritual Formation: In partnership with the pastor, ensure the development and expression of faith in the community through its integration in both classrooms and co-curricular programs.
- Mission Alignment: In partnership with the parish, be a guiding presence to ensure that the school lives out its mission and vision daily.
- Community Engagement: Promote a culture of academic excellence and student support by serving as a visible presence and effective counsel to faculty and families.
- Professional Growth: Foster and encourage a culture of faculty growth and oversee the annual process of teacher goal setting and evaluation.
- General Leadership: Serve as an active, engaged, and collaborative member of the administrative team, run the daily operations of the school as needed, and perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The most competitive candidates will offer most or all of the following qualifications and qualities:
- A practicing Catholic with thorough knowledge of the Catholic Church’s teachings.
- A visionary with energy and a commitment to creating a strong parish school rooted in our Catholic tradition.
- Familiarity and experience with diocesan-school relationships.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with inspiration and clarity.
- A master’s degree in education administration or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated successful experience as a Catholic school leader is preferred.
All interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply through the diocesan job portal by clicking the button below. Additionally, candidates will need to submit the following materials:
- A cover letter expressing their interest in this position.
- A current resume.
- A list of three professional references, with name, relationship, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission).